Deserving athletes awarded by Butler County Sports Network
Published 7:58 pm Tuesday, May 9, 2023
“Coverage Butler County Athletes Deserve,” a slogan developed as a mission to cover countless sporting events in Butler County, was fully realized when the Butler County Sports Network (BCSN) hosted its inaugural awards banquet Sunday afternoon.
In conjunction with the Greenville Area Chamber of Commerce and The Greenville Parks and Recreation Department, BCSN recognized athletes from across the county for their accomplishments in each sport.
Coach of the Year, Moment of the Year, and Team of the Year honors were awarded and individuals were named as the Male and Female Athlete of the Year and All-County Teams in football, basketball, baseball, and softball.
“I would like to say thank you to Tracy Salter at The Greenville Area Chamber of Commerce, our master of ceremonies Daniel Ingram, and Jerome Harris, III with Greenville Parks and Recreation,” owner of Butler County Sports Network Jeffrey Fuller said. “We are looking forward to year two, improving day by day, and continuing to give these athletes the coverage they deserve.”
In addition to any on-the-field honors awarded Sunday afternoon, one award, named in honor of Jerome Harris, III recognized community leadership.
Those honored were:
- Volleyball Player of the Year: Lily Vandyke – Fort Dale Academy
- Girls Basketball Player of the Year: Lillie Boggan – Georgiana High School
- Tennis Player of the Year: Maire Scott – Fort Dale Academy
- Boys Basketball Player of the Year: Tyler Mallory – Greenville High School
- Moment of the Year: Tyler Mallory’s Record – Greenville High School
- Golf Player of the Year: Jackson Scott – Fort Dale Academy
- Girls Track and Field Player of the Year: Kaylee Barganier – Fort Dale Academy
- Boys Track and Field Player of the Year: Jon Nolan Lawrence – Fort Dale Academy
- Girls Soccer Player of the Year: Kate Slagley – Fort Dale Academy
- Boys Soccer Player of the Year: Alan Alvarez – Fort Dale Academy
- Softball Player of the Year: Bailey Lambert – Fort Dale Academy
- Baseball Player of the Year: Christian Hill – Greenville High School
- Football Player of the Year: Kaveon Miles – Georgiana High School
- Team of the Year: Maire Scott and Claire Hutson – Fort Dale Academy
- Female Athlete of the Year: Lily Vandyke – Fort Dale Academy
- Male Athlete of the Year: Alan Alvarez – Fort Dale Academy
- Coach of the Year: Berry Bess – Georgiana High School
- Jerome Harris Community Excellence Award: Tyler Mallory – Greenville High School
Several Fort Dale Academy students took home awards for their excellence on the field including Lily Vandyke and Alan Alvarez who were named Male and Female Athlete of the Year respectively.
“Alvarez contributed in football and soccer this year and is an excellent kicker,” Fort Dale Academy Headmaster David Sikes said. “Vandyke has been a mainstay for our female sports program and has a tremendous work ethic.”
Vandyke signed an academic scholarship in January to attend Huntingdon College, where she will play volleyball for the Hawks. Alvarez will enter into his senior season at Fort Dale this fall.
Local businesses and community leaders partnered in the effort by sponsoring and presenting awards. Butler County Board of Education District 4 representative Wayne Boswell sponsored the Boys Basketball player of the year award and said it was important for him to sponsor this award because it recognizes student athletes for their hard work and shows appreciation for the different skills that are taught by athletics.
Fuller also thanked the area businesses for their sponsorship and for Scott Bentley who played a large role in securing these sponsors. The Butler County Sports Network is already looking forward to next year’s event and is hoping to be able to have this event at a larger venue.
“We are looking to have this event at a larger venue if possible aiming to make this bigger and better every year,” Fuller said.
Continue to follow Butler County Sports Network on their facebook page at www.facebook.com/ButlerCoSN.