Fort Dale competes in Tennis State Tournament
Published 3:23 pm Thursday, April 29, 2021
The Fort Dale tennis team recently competed at the Tennis State Tournament at Lagoon Park in Montgomery. The tournament, which started April 12 at 10 AM, saw the top six teams in the ASA invited to compete.
Beside Fort Dale Academy, the following schools also participated in the tournament: Monroe Academy, Tuscaloosa Academy, Morgan Academy, Lee Scott Academy, Glenwood Academy.
Of the eleven students on the girl’s tennis team, and eight on the boy’s tennis team, only the top five seeds play singles. The other two matches in during the tournament were doubles.
Email newsletter signup
The performance of the Fort Dale Boy’s Tennis Team is as follows:
- Sophomore Brody Stringer defeated Glenwood in the first round of the first seed but lost in the semifinal match to Tuscaloosa
- Nate Richardson defeated Glenwood during the first round of the second seed but lost to Morgan Academy in the semifinal match
- Caleb Rogers defeated Lee Scott in the first round of the third seed but lost to Tuscaloosa in the semifinal match
- Andy Seo defeated Lee Scott during the first round of the fourth seed but had to retire the match due to an injury to Morgan in the second round
- Gus French beat Lee Scott in the first round of the fifth seed, but lost to Morgan Academy in the semifinal match
- Brody Stringer and Nate Richardson defeated Glenwood during a doubles match but lost to Morgan in the next match
- Caleb Rogers and Joseph Ealum lost to Glenwood during a doubles match
At the end of the tournament, the Tuscaloosa boys went on to win the tournament and Morgan Academy boys were a runner up.
“I am so proud of this team,” said Coach Jennie Hamilton when asked about the boy’s performance. “They did a great job and played really well at the state tournament. Two of my senior boys are graduating, and that will be a big loss, but there is an enthusiasm with those remaining, and I have a good feeling about next season.”