Smoke causes alarm at W.O.P

Published 10:24 am Friday, October 22, 2010

W.O. Palmer teacher Stephanie Pierce, left, watches over her students while firefighters respond to a report of smoke at the school Friday. (Photo, Kevin Pearcey)

A malfunctioning heating unit forced W.O. Parmer Elementary School kindergartners out of the classroom on Friday morning.

At approximately 9:45 a.m., E-911 received a call reporting smoke in the school and Greenville firefighters rushed to the scene to respond. Teachers ushered their classes outside while firefighters investigated.

Greenville Fire Chief Mike Phillips said the bad unit caused smoke, but no fire. He said maintenance personnel from the school district were also inspecting the other units. Teachers and student returned to their classes at approximately 10:15 a.m.

Email newsletter signup