First responders#039; work appreciated

Published 12:00 am Friday, April 29, 2005

With all the restraint I can muster, please allow me to say that if you have the opportunity to kill a deer, do it.

Enjoy it.

Revel in it.

Email newsletter signup

I'm not a hunter but I'm now a strong advocate for having this vermin removed from the planet to the point of extinction.

This past Wednesday, after a rather long day at the office, I had gone to my folks' for a quick bite to eat. I had to finish some work on a project and had just a great deal to do.

That was about to change.

As I entered the Greenville city limits once again on Ala. Highway 10, a deer or a herd plowed into me.

In a matter of moments I realized what was happening and was quickly snatching my car back onto the highway.

Needless to say, shock and anxiety quickly set in as I got out of the car.

I was thankful for Mr. Jim Thomas who arrived home and came to my aid.

He quickly called 911 and help was on the way.

Officer Grandison was the first to arrive and there I stood feeling shocked and I muttered something about "not having time for this."

Officer Grandison, who is truly a great guy told me maybe this was a sign that I needed to make some time for myself.

I think he may be right.

Anyway, after much ado, I was back home feeling sore and banged up, but I was home.

I do want to thank the men of the Greenville Fire Department who responded to the scene and took very good care of me.

I'm sure they all wished I had started my diet last year when they had to hoist me into the ambulance.

Also, I need to thank Sheriff Diane Harris and her people for taking care of my car for me.

That was the least of my worries once someone told me she was handling it.

You know we often report on these agencies and I think many of us in the public often take what they do for granted.

But it was comforting to know that I was in good hands when the satanic Bambi decided to take me out.

I think if you have to have an accident, this is the place to do it. I know that sounds crazy, but these men and women were very respectful and professional.

One of them even made sure that when my eyeglasses and I became separated, that they found their way back to me.

I'm not a good hospital patient, but the folks at Stabler's were quick to act and despite discomfort and concerns about my car, the X-ray tech, I just know her name was Jennifer, had me laughing.

As I left, I thanked Dr. Vernon Stabler and off I went in search of my comfortable bed.

I was shocked to see that four hours had elapsed from when the accident occurred.

So maybe this was a sign, as Officer Grandison said, and that I do need to slow

my life down.

Who knows?

But I do hope if that deer lived through the impact that it hurt for a long while.

Jay Thomas is managing editor of the Greenville Advocate. He can be reached at 383-9302, ext. 136 or via email at or write P.O. Box 507, Greenville, AL 36037.