Suspects charged with capital murder

Published 12:00 am Saturday, July 24, 2004

Corey Bradley and Richard Lewis will never forget June 23 and Thursday’s events made sure of that.

On Thursday, both Bradley and Lewis were charged with capital murder for the slaying of Brandon Boggan, Greenville’s first homicide of 2004.

Boggan, 21, was killed at his girlfriend’s Perdue Village apartment when an apparent robbery resulted in a struggle and a shot was fired.

Email newsletter signup

The charge is as severe as it gets. If convicted each could face the possibility of death.

District Attorney John Andrews confirmed the charges Thursday.

&uot;We’ve charged them with capital murder,&uot; said Andrews. &uot;This was committed during a robbery or attempted robbery.&uot;

Andrews said they were now ready to move on to the next step.

&uot;We will have a preliminary hearing at some point,&uot; said Andrews. &uot;That will be the next step. We don’t have the case file yet because the investigation is still going on.&uot;

The Greenville Police Department’s investigation team worked many long hours to make a break in the case.

Andrews said he appreciated the hard work put forth by everyone.

&uot;They worked long and hard on this case and we appreciate it,&uot; said Andrews. &uot;It is because of their efforts this case is solved.&uot;

Greenville Mayor Dexter McLendon also praised the department.

&uot;I am very proud of our investigation department and everyone that helped out,&uot; said McLendon. &uot;Their hard work shows that we will do whatever it takes to investigate, find them and hopefully, put them away for a long time."

McLendon felt the speed with which the police worked and the charges sent a very strong message.

&uot;I think this sends a strong message,&uot; said McLendon. &uot;This is a message to everyone that we are going to do whatever it takes to stop this.&uot;

After almost a month of investigation the case broke open on July 11 when Bradley, accompanied by his mother, turned himself in at around 8:30 p.m. at the Greenville Police Department.

In the morning hours of July 12, Lewis was arrested.

On Friday, District Judge J. MacDonald Russell denied bond for the two suspects.