Bail denied for homicide suspects

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Three suspects made their first appearance in court Tuesday at the Butler County Courthouse for formal capital murder charges in the death of Doyle Hudson Sr.

Two of the three were arrested early Saturday morning by the Butler County Sheriff’s Office, while the third suspect turned himself in at the Greenville Police at approximately 9 a.m. the same day.

According to Sheriff Diane Harris, Jenaldo Terrell Scott, 23, of 617 Simpson Road; George Allen Burnett, 19, of 200 First St. and Maurice Cortez Tyson, 19, of 30 Avery Lane, all are suspects in Hudson’s killing on March 24.

Email newsletter signup

On Tuesday, the three went before District Judge J. MacDonald Russell for their first appearance.

Russell advised each individually that they were being charged with capital murder, robbery first degree and burglary first degree.

Russell advised Burnett and Scott they could have an attorney appointed to represent them.

Tyson is being represented by Wesley Pitters, an attorney from Montgomery.

Russell denied bail on all three because of the capital murder charge.

If convicted, all three could face death by lethal injection.

Harris said it appeared the intent was to burglarize the Hudson home at 2191 Poorhouse Road.

The victim apparently confronted them and struggled with at least two of them.

They allegedly overpowered him and tied him up.

Hudson was then pulled outdoors where he was bludgeoned to death with a concrete cinder block.

Harris said their investigation followed the theft of Hudson hunter green 2002 Mazda 2300 pickup truck.

Later in the day, investigators found the pickup parked behind an outer building at the New Hope Missionary Baptist Church.

Before noon on Saturday, Harris returned to the church’s cemetery to comb the area once more for clues.

They were arrested before Hudson’s funeral.

Harris brushed aside any praise and said this was a case of good police investigating.

&uot;We received info on these three suspects and went it,&uot; she said.

&uot;The Greenville Police Department assisted us in our investigation.&uot;

Several tips led to the three’s arrests.

From the time Hudson’s corpse was found to the time of the arrests, the sheriff, her deputies and the sheriff’s auxiliary worked around the clock.

Their investigation ran from one tip in Fort Deposit to others tips, until it finally came down to the sheriff and her deputies going door-to-door in some areas.

Harris arrested Burnett at 11 p.m. Friday as part of the investigation into Hudson’s capital murder.

She said Chief Ronald Coleman arrested Tyson at 1:19 Saturday morning in connection with the capital murder investigation.

Sheriff Harris said she arrived home at 7 a.m. Saturday morning after she and her deputies worked throughout the night.

She said at approximately 9 a.m. she was called and told that Scott had gone to the Greenville Police Department and turned himself in.

Sheriff Harris personally drove to the Hudson home on Poorhouse Road to tell the victim’s family that three men were in custody.

&uot;I appreciate all the information that we got from the public in this matter and the extremely long hours that my deputies and the sheriff’s auxiliary put in,&uot; she said. &uot;I’m thankful for the help given us by the Greenville Police Department.

This is a fine example of what we can accomplish when our two agencies work together to reach a common goal.&uot;

She also expressed her thanks to the Alabama Bureau of Investigation for helping collect evidence in the case.