Five-year-old critical#039; after auto wreck

Published 12:00 am Saturday, January 3, 2004

Vigilant prayers worldwide continue to sustain Matthew Golden, 5, of Greenville who was injured on Dec. 28 in an automobile accident

According to the family at approximately 2 p.m., Golden’s grandfather, Doug Moorer, lost control of his extended cab pickup on Ala. Highway 10 W.

His grandson, Matthew, was thrown from the vehicle.

Email newsletter signup

According to Jerry Golden, Matthew’s father, his son was taken to L.V. Stabler Memorial Hospital and airlifted to Children’s Hospital in Birmingham.

Golden said Moorer was transported to Stabler’s, then to Jackson Hospital in Montgomery, before finally being taken to the University of Alabama Medical Center in Birmingham.

&uot;Matthew’s grandfather was released from the hospital at UAB today (Friday) and he got a chance to see Matthew,&uot; Jerry Golden said.

&uot;He has a back injury, but is doing better now.&uot;

Also injured in the accident was Moorer’s wife.

She suffered a broken hand.

Matthew’s two brothers, Michael, 6, and John William, 8 months, were not injured.

&uot;Dr. Duane Williams went to the house where the boys were and gave them a complete check and found no injuries,&uot; Golden said.

&uot;My brother is staying there with them until we can get home.&uot;

Matthew was not so lucky.

According to his father, he suffered a &uot;significant brain injury and also a laceration on his liver.&uot;

&uot;He is doing much, much better, but we are not out of the woods yet,&uot; Golden said.

&uot;He is still in critical condition. We just want to thank everyone for their prayers and thoughts during this time.&uot;

Golden said their faith sustains them and is helping.

&uot;Every prayer that we have had has been answered so far,&uot; he said.

&uot;Matthew still being here is nothing short of a miracle.

None of his organs have shut down so as far as his body is doing, he is doing great. He looks a whole lot better.

Those praying for Matthew is getting him through this.&uot;

Golden said doctors who gave him little chance at survival are seeing something else now.

&uot;His doctors are absolutely amazed at his progress so far,&uot; he said.

&uot;Again, it’s nothing short of a miracle.&uot;

Here in Greenville, the prayer chains have been at full throttle since the accident happened.

Golden is well known in the community because he manages Stabler Clinic on College Street, while his wife, Vicki, is the director of community relations at Stabler Hospital.

They both expressed their thanks for those prayers.

&uot;We are so appreciative of everyone in Greenville for their prayers and kindness and everything they’ve done to take care of us and our boys,&uot; he said.

&uot;Words cannot describe how grateful we are and we’ll never be able to thank them all personally.&uot;

Golden said prayers for Matthew continue from London, England to Canada to the Marshall Islands.

How long it will take Matthew to recover enough to come home to Greenville is still unknown but his parents believe it will happen.

&uot;We don’t know how long it will be before we back home,&uot; he said.

&uot;It is hard but we’re getting through it.&uot;

Golden said he and his wife really want people to remember Moorer in this difficult and to keep him in their thoughts and prayers.

He said it was quite difficult for his father-in-law to see his grandson on Friday and that Matthew’s grandparents love he and his brothers a great deal.

Also, Golden urges all parents whom use to car seats to make sure they use them properly and that they are securely fastened.

&uot;Although, he wasn’t hurt, during the accident, the baby’s seat popped off the base,&uot; Golden said.

&uot;Our oldest son wasn’t hurt because he was wearing a shoulder belt, but shoulder belts aren’t made for smaller children and infants.&uot;

They believe Matthew may have slipped his own shoulder belt off before the accident.