Christmas parade slated for Dec. 5
Greenville’s Commerce Street will be aglow and filled with holiday tunes in early December as the Chamber of Commerce presents its annual Christmas Parade.
This year’s theme is &uot;All Wrapped Up in the Spirit of Christmas&uot;.
As in recent years, the event is returning to a tradition of years past by presenting an illuminated nighttime parade.
This year’s parade is scheduled for December 5 at 6 p.m.
Chamber of Commerce President Carol Lee encourages local schools, churches, civic groups, businesses and others to plan to enter a unit in this year’s event and make it &uot;bigger and better than ever&uot;.
However, there are some guidelines, put together by the Chamber, which all entries must abide by.
They are as follows:
1. All parade entry drivers, including floats, cars, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, etc. must be 21 years of age or older and possess a valid driver’s license.
2. There is only one real Santa and he rides the big fire truck at the end of the parade. Please, do not put an imitation Santa with your entry.
3. Please equip your entry with lights and Christmas music
4. Keep within 50 feet of the entry ahead of you.
5. Throw candy away from the road!
If you are throwing candy, you MUST have someone walking on either side of the float.
Line up for the parade by 5 p.m.
Floats and vehicles should report to the parking lot behind Jim Massey Cleaners and walkers should come to the parking lot in front of DHR.
7. The parade route will be West on Herbert Street, North on Bolling Street, East on Commerce Street and disband at the Courthouse.
8. Prizes are awarded to the first and second place finishers in the float and decorated vehicle entries.
9. NO loading and unloading of riders will be allowed at the courthouse. You must return to the parking lot where the parade begins.
10. NO parking will be allowed in the lot…parade entries only will be allowed to drive into the lot.
NO saddle clubs will be allowed into the parade.
If you have a horse, it must be attached to a wagon.
So make your plans to put together a creative float or decorated entry, follow the rules and help bring the spirit of Christmas to the City of Smiles in style.
For more information, stop by the GACOC offices at the Depot, send an e-mail to email@example.com or call Carol Lee at the Chamber at 382-3251.