Reward offered in Hoke case
Published 12:00 am Saturday, June 22, 2002
Governor Don Siegelman announced Wednesday that he will offer a $5,000 reward for any information leading to the apprehension and conviction of "the person or persons responsible for the death of Michael James Hoke."
The reward comes during a continuing investigation into the strangling death of Michael James Hoke, 33, of Greenville. Hoke's body was found Monday, April 22 at approximately 8:58 p.m. behind Q-94 radio station in downtown Greenville.
Reports indicate that Hoke was last seen around 11 p.m. the previous Friday night (April 19) at the Front Street Pub just down from Q-94. A missing persons report had been filed for Hoke Sunday night, April 21.
Email newsletter signup
Greenville Police Officer Danny Bond located the body in the area behind Q-94 and a death investigation began immediately. Greenville Police Chief Lonzo Ingram said that due to high grass, the body was not visible from the street.
Ingram said he is thankful the reward is being offered and hopes individuals will come forward with information.
"We are extremely happy that the governor saw fit to post a reward like this," he said. "We hope this will draw attention to the case and draw substantial leads in this investigation."
Siegelman said that any information will be helpful in this case. "Any information relative to this act of violence would be greatly appreciated," he said. "We must do everything that we can to apprehend the responsible parties and bring them to justice."
The case is still under investigation by the Greenville Police Department and the Alabama Bureau of Investigation. Anyone with information on this or other crimes should contact the Greenville Police Department at 382-7461.