Altercation leads to shooting at Garfield Park

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, March 13, 2002

Greenville police officers were dispatched to a shooting at Garfield Park at approximately 7:35 p.m. Saturday and two suspects are currently in Butler County Jail under a $60,000 bond.

At around 7:35 p.m. Saturday, Butler County E-911 received the call and dispatched Greenville police and Greenville Fire and Rescue to the scene. Upon Greenville Fire and Rescue's arrival to the scene, the victim, 21-year-old Ken Albritton of Greenville, had already been transported by car to L. V. Stabler Memorial Hospital.

Witnesses said the three men began arguing and the suspects opened fire on the victim. The victim was then rushed to L. V. Stabler Memorial Hospital where he was reported to have suffered four gunshot wounds; to the neck, back, hand and leg.

Email newsletter signup

Two vehicles also were damaged by bullets during the shooting.

Nineteen-year-old Kitrick O'Neal Johnson and 17-year-old Kevin Lamar Johnson, both of Greenville, were arrested at a residence on King Street shortly after the shooting, according to Greenville Police Chief Lonzo Ingram.

Reports indicated officers were able to apprehend the suspects with the help of witnesses. Reports say that an officer in the area of Hickory and Walnut Streets saw two vehicles, a white Ford Crown Victoria and a white Chevrolet Blazer, run the stop sign at Walnut and Hickory and then proceed to run the red light at Hickory and Commerce. The officer then began to pull the Blazer over but the driver yelled to the officer that individuals in the other vehicle had just shot someone.

Knowing there had been reports of a shooting in that area just minutes before, the officer immediately pursued the Crown Victoria. The officer located the suspects at a residence on King Street and the two were arrested shortly thereafter.

The suspects are now being charged with first degree assault and criminal mischief.

Ingram said it is sad when young people use guns to settle disputes. "It is tragic when we have young men like that pulling weapons and shooting people for whatever difference they might have," he said.

Ingram added that he is thankful for the help from the witnesses Saturday night and that the arrests went smoothly.

"We appreciate the cooperation from the witnesses and we were able to apprehend the suspects without incident," Ingram said.