Tigers maul Panthers, 41-0

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, September 26, 2001

The Greenville Tigers came alive on Friday night, during their homecoming celebration, sending the Panthers back to the den fruitless and hungry, 41-0.

"We played extremely hard tonight," said Head Coach Alvin Briggs. "Offense played just as hard as defense has been playing, and they saw what it would get them."

The Tigers had the game from the get-go, when their defense effectively shut down the Panthers during the very first play. With 10:56 left in the first quarter, Greenville had the ball for a first down. And for the rest of the game, the Tigers kept wearing the Panthers out, pushing and prodding them up the field, constantly clawing for more ground under their feet.

Email newsletter signup

Then when the Greenville offense kept pushing Southside up field, they could not make any headway.

Beginning with 5:16 in the first quarter, Carlos Carter carried the ball nine yards for a touchdown, and William Phillips kicked the PAT to make the score 7-0 Tigers.

Going into the second quarter, Carter carried the ball 24 yards for the TD and again Phillips made good on the PAT, and the score was 14-0 Greenville.

Still in the second quarter, Jacoby Thagard threw a phenomenal 35-yard pass to Tyrone Davidson in the end zone for the score, and Phillips again made the Pat, to bring the score to 21-0, where it remained at the halftime horn.

Coming back in the third quarter, with 11:46 on the clock, Greg McConico made a very impressive 79-yard kickoff return to score, and Phillips stepped up with the kick, to bring the score to 28-0.

Again in the third, with 8:57 on the clock, Terry Hawkins brought in a two-yard run; this time the PAT failed, and the score was 34-0 Greenville.

Then with 5:41 remaining in the game, Thagard carried in a nine-yard run, followed by Phillips making good on the kick to bring the score to its final rest at 41-0.

In the last two minutes of play, freshman Mason Rich injured his right ankle, and had to be carried off of the field. He was transported to the emergency room for further evaluation of his injury.

Also in the last two minutes of the game, the Tigers doused Coach Briggs, Coach Stonicher and Coach Hartman with the ice buckets.

"We have really worked hard all week to prepare for this," Briggs said. "Now they know what hard work will get them. While we still have a lot of work to be done, I am very proud of them

they showed their hearts were in the game tonight."

But Briggs said the Tigers face a big challenge next week.

"Next week we will be hosting Stanhope-Elmore, and they are a tough team to play and we have our work cut out for us to get ready to play them.

The Tigers have now earned their first win for the season, and are now 1-3.