Commission to consider funds for task force
Published 12:00 am Saturday, April 7, 2001
The Butler County Commission will consider providing funds to assist the City of Georgiana in putting an officer in the Drug Task Force.
The task force, which has jurisdiction in Butler, Crenshaw and Lowndes counties has officers from Crenshaw County, Lowndes County and the City of Luverne.
"The task force is holding a spot open for the City of Georgiana," said James Blackmon, Georgiana police chief.
"We have a chance to put a man on the Task Force, but we need some financial help," Blackmon told the commission.
"There have been some problems with the Task Force" said Blackmon. "There is now a ruling from the District Attorney that the Task Force has to notify him before working in Butler County."
When asked who he would place on the task force, Chief Blackmon replied, "I
have two or three candidates I would like to consider placing on the Task
Forceit will all depend on the actual money involved.
"I don't want to say at this time who the candidates are, until I know for
sure how much money we will get."
Other items to be considered by the commission include:
* appointments to the Department of Human Resources board.
* acknowledge grand jury report.
* a resolution to support Emergency Management Agency.
* request from Sheriff for raise for jailer Robert Harper.
* engineer's report.
* jail report.
* request from Probate Judge MacDonald Russell for payment for preparation of voter lists for special lottery election held in 1999.
* Request from Venis Longmire for use of a building and support or endorsement for a grant.