Resolutions can be made anytime
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, January 3, 2001
We think about resolutions for a new year, but resolutions are appropriate any time.
Here are some to think about.
Why not resolve to:
Email newsletter signup
* Be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
* Make all your friends feel there is something special in them.
* Look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
* Think only of the best, work for the best, and expect only the best.
* Be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
* Forget about the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements in the future.
* Wear a cheerful expression at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
* Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
* Be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
Another good resolution is to improve your diet.
One way to do this is to include more dried beans in your meals.
They're rich in fiber and B vitamins and are a good source of plant protein.
Here is a make-ahead salad that is good any time.
It keeps well in the refrigerator for several days.
Mixed Bean Salad
1 cup kidney beans, canned, drained
1 cup garbanzo beans, canned, drained
1/2 cup carrots, very thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons chopped sweet pickle
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup vegetable oil
Mix beans, vegetables, and pickles in a bowl.
Thoroughly mix remaining ingredients.
Pour over beans and vegetable mixture.
Chill at least 1 hour before eating.