Man accused of killing wife

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, November 29, 2000

The Butler County Sheriff’s Department is conducting its

first homicide investigation of the year, following the

apparent murder of a Forest Home woman on Friday night, Nov.

Email newsletter signup

24.In a statement released on Monday afternoon, Sheriff

Diane Harris said that her department was dispatched to the

Forest Home community on Friday night.&uot;We (the Sheriff’s

Department) received a call from Butler County E-911 on

Friday night, just after 7 p.m., to a residence in Forest

Home for a reported gunshot victim,&uot; Harris said.&uot;When

deputies arrived at the location, they found a white female,

Onial Dean Wade, age 57, on the living room floor with a

single gunshot wound to the chest area.&uot; She said. &uot;The

victim was pronounced dead at the scene by Butler County

Coroner Wayne Garlock, at approximately 7:45 p.m.&uot;Also at

the scene, according to Harris, was the victim’s husband.

&uot;Henry Clifton Wade, age 59, was taken into custody from the

scene and transported to the Butler County Jail, where he is

being held for the charge of murder,&uot; she said.&uot;Among the

evidence removed from the scene during the course of the

investigation was a 12-guage shotgun, which is believed to

be the murder weapon,&uot; Harris said.Harris said that the

couple, who were married in April, had been living together

longer.&uot;My office has been called to this particular

residence many times, for various charges, and Wade has been

arrested before,&uot; she said. &uot;We have responded numerous

times for harassment, menacing, assault.&uot;Since the domestic

violence laws were changed, we have been there for D.V.

charges as well, and there was also a restraining order

against him (Clifton Wade) from the court, &uot; she

said.Sheriff Harris said that this particular case hit her

hard personally.&uot;It is always harder when the victim has

spoken to you just a few days before,&uot; she said.According to

Harris, the victim had come into town to ask for advice.

&uot;She was in my office just the other day,&uot; Harris said. &uot;She

said that she was in fear for her life. She asked me what I

would do if I were in her place, and I told her that I would

pack my bags and leave.&uot;The Alabama Department of Forensic

Sciences was called to the scene, and after conducting their

own investigation, removed the body of Mrs. Wade and

transported it to Montgomery. Autopsy results are pending.