Marine Patrol launches boating course
Published 11:47 am Wednesday, March 29, 2023
The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency’s Marine Patrol Division launched boating safety/boater license classes in March to prepare residents in southern and central portions of the state for the Spring boating season.
According to ALEA Sergeant Jeremy Burkett, Troopers launched the training on March 11 in areas across southern and central portions of the state.
“Although the eight-hour sessions are free and open to the public, individuals interested in attending must contact ALEA’s Marine Patrol to reserve a space,” Burkett said.
ALEA Marine Patrol Division Chief Steve Thompson explained the courses will help ensure the safety of operators and passengers on Alabama waterways.
“We want to ensure all vessel operators and passengers are safe while enjoying Alabama’s lakes, rivers, and other bodies of water,” Thompson said. “Prospective boaters who complete the course will have an opportunity to obtain a Boating Basics certificate, which is required for the boater endorsement on Alabama’s driver license.”
The one-day sessions include student interaction with Marine Patrol Troopers who are familiar with Alabama waterways and will explain the particular challenges boaters may face on the water.
Classes are open to individuals 12 and older. Persons at least 12 years of age are eligible to obtain a vessel operator’s license when accompanied by a licensed adult. At age 14, licensed individuals may operate a vessel alone.
Classes will be held at locations across central and southern portions of the state. Prospective voters should email the following Marine Patrol Troopers to register for specific dates and locations.
- March 30 and 31 – Herbert Fire Department at 29568 Highway 84 in Evergreen email Trooper Benjamin Pate at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- April 1 – The Ridge Marina at 450 Ridge Marina Road in Alexander City email Trooper Corey Robinett at email@example.com or Trooper Jonathan Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- April 1 – Jackson Fire Department at 102 College Avenue in Jackson email Trooper Justin Sessions at email@example.com;
- April 5 and 6 – Orange Beach Fire Department at 4099 Orange Beach Blvd in Orange Beach email Trooper Jacob Manning at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- April 8 – The Ridge Marina at 450 Ridge Marina Road in Alexander City email Trooper Corey Robinett at email@example.com or Trooper Jonathan Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- April 15 – Enterprise Farmers Market at 525 N. Main Street in Enterprise email Trooper Tracy Morgan at email@example.com;
- April 22 – Doster Community Center at 424 S. Northington Street in Prattville email Trooper Marshall Westbrook at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- April 23 – Herbert Fire Department at 29568 Highway 84 in Evergreen email Trooper Benjamin Pate at email@example.com;
- April 29 – Zazu’s Verandah at 128 W. Cusseta Street in Dadeville email Trooper Corey Robinett at firstname.lastname@example.org; and
- April 29 – Wilbur Williams LETC at 229 Academy Drive in Andalusia email Trooper Tracy Morgan at email@example.com.