BCBS warns of scams
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama is warning their customers and Alabamians about national Coronavirus scams. These scams are targeting members by leveraging fear related to COVID-19.
Scam Warning Signs:
- Door to door solicitation for COVID-19 for any testing and prescribing; (tell individual(s) you are not interested, and you will contact your physician).
- Phone calls asking for health insurance contract information for free testing and services; (hang up immediately).
- Outreach from unfamiliar healthcare workers offering to send you a home test kit.
- False advertisements for vaccinations or medications to treat the disease.
- Unexplained or unauthorized laboratory tests or prescriptions appearing on your Blue Cross Explanation of Benefits statement.
- Advertisements offering health products that are ineffective against COVID-19 such as herbal teas, supplements, oils or ointments.
- Spear phishing emails referencing COVID-19 which contain malware.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama cares about the health and well-being of our members and Alabamians. We are taking every step available to minimize these scams. We encourage members and Alabamians to be vigilant. If you suspect healthcare fraud, please report it to AlabamaBlue.com/fraud or call our fraud hotline at 1-800-824-4391.