Helping Hands: GMS students donate to Nettles family

Published 12:05 am Saturday, May 4, 2019

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

After a tragic house fire that claimed the life of a W.O. Parmer Elementary School student, a group of Greenville Middle School students came together, helping in a unique way.

With pitchers of lemonade and sweet treats in hand, six students organized a bake sale last Thursday, raising money for the Nettles family that lost so much in an April 2 fire. According to the Alabama State Fire Marshal’s Office, the fire at a mobile home in the 170 block of Prairie Lane, east of Greenville, claimed the life of 6-year-old Kayden Nettles.

Following the fire, speaking on behalf of the school system, Superintendent Dr. John Strycker was disheartened by the news.

Email newsletter signup

“In the past two years, we have experienced tremendous loss on more than one occasion,” he said. “There is no greater pain for me as a school leader than the loss of a child in my care. I already know that we will come together to support this family, but I ask for specific prayer for this family.”

Finding a way to help, the students set up a stand on Manningham Road. With signs and enthusiasm, they invited cars to come to the sale.

“Everyone here organized the event,” Heaven-Leigh Thompson said. “We wanted to help the Nettle’s after they lost everything.”

After one afternoon, the students raised more than $100. Greenville Middle School Principal Bryant Marlow thanked the students for responding in such a kind-hearted way.

“We are so proud of these GMS students that raised money for the Nettle’s family,” he concluded. “We would also like to thank all of the GMS students that gave money last Friday for the Nettle’s family. You all make us super proud.”