Georgiana home cook wins blue ribbon for salsa recipe
Georgiana home cook Debora Hotard’s mango, avocado and cucumber salsa recipe has been awarded a blue ribbon at Just A Pinch Recipes, a recipe and coupon social network for home cooks at www.justapinch.com.
Hotard’s mango, avocado and cucumber salsa was named a blue ribbon winner by Just A Pinch Food Editor Janet Tharpe. To land the award, Hotard served up a full-flavored dish that was both tasty and easy to prepare.
“I served this salsa over grilled, Cuban-seasoned pork loin chops with a side of brown rice and black bean pilaf,” Hotard said. “It made for a fantastic meal. I hope you enjoy as much as my family did. I also plan to try it over grilled chicken and both grilled shrimp and fish.”
Hotard is one of 23 Georgiana residents sharing recipes with the social network, which in just four years has become the largest database of user-posted recipes in the world.
On the site, users can post their own “family tested and approved” recipes and try recipes submitted by others, use a menu calendar and grocery list, create custom cookbooks, print hundreds of grocery coupons, enter recipe contests and join discussion groups. They may also use Pinch It!, a robust site feature that allows users to capture and share recipes from virtually anywhere online with a simple click and seamlessly integrate them into their digital recipe boxes. These features allow home cooks to build relationships virtually, as if they are sitting around one big kitchen table.
“We continually add new features to the club based on the feedback of our members,” said Tharpe. “It’s because of people like Debora Hotard, who is proud to share her family’s favorite recipes with other home cooks, that the club has become so popular and is growing so fast.”
Mango, Avocado and Cucumber Salsa
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz. can, diced chillies, thoroughly drained
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, pressed
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced (set in colander, salt heavily and allow to throw its water)
- 1 large avocado, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- Rinse and dry the diced and salted cucumber. Mix the cucumber with the rest of the first seven ingredients.
- Season with salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Stir in olive oil and lime juice. Serve at room temperature.