Motorists urged to use caution
Published 1:55 pm Monday, January 27, 2014
Officials with the Alabama Department of Public Safety and the Department of Transportation are urging motorists to exercise caution due to possible hazardous road condition expected to accompany a winter storm.
ALDOT is making preparations and mobilizing personnel and resources across portions of the state which may be affected, to respond to icy bridge and road conditions and other adverse impacts from the approaching winter storm.
Officials say ALDOT will monitor roadway conditions and will make every attempt to keep highways passable and as safe for travel as possible.
Email newsletter signup
If driving becomes necessary, motorists should use caution and remain alert for work zones, highway maintenance personnel and emergency vehicles. Motorists also are reminded to obey Alabama’s “move over” law.
In addition, Alabama State Troopers offer the following tips to help ensure safe winter travel:
- Avoid travel, if possible, when icy or other extremely hazardous driving conditions develop.
- Keep vehicles in good operating condition. Check antifreeze levels and use windshield washer solution suitable for freezing weather conditions. Keep gas tanks at least half full.
- Remember weather and roadway conditions may change quickly. Adapt speeds to existing roadway conditions, and be alert to changing weather and the possibility of icy, slippery roads.
- Pay particular attention to bridges and overpasses, which have a tendency to develop extremely hazardous “black ice.”
- During inclement weather, turn on headlights and windshield wipers, and maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and other vehicles.
- Keep blankets, a first-aid kit, a charged cell phone and other emergency supplies in your vehicle.