County approves ATRIP projects

Published 1:25 pm Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Butler County is preparing for Phase II of Gov. Robert Bentley’s Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Project.

At Monday’s meeting, the county commission approved four project submissions.

County Engineer Dennis McCall recommended that the county resubmit projects for County Road 50 (Honoraville Road) and County Road 37 (Gravel Hill Road). He also recommended that the county submit an application for a 20-mile project on County Road 59 (Halso Mill Road) and County Road 45 (McKenzie Grade Road) and a bridge replacement project on Peavy Road.

Email newsletter signup

McCall estimates the total cost of the projects to be $6.1 million.

If a project is approved, the state pays 80 percent of the cost, leaving the county to pay 20 percent.

“Rep. (Charles) Newton and I are going to meet with the state highway director, and if after talking with him it looks like we’d have a better chance of getting the projects approved without the bridge project on there, then we’ll pull it and submit the others,” McCall said. “But right now the plan is to submit them all and hope that we get at least a few of them approved.”

The deadline for submitting a project for consideration in Phase II is October 5.

Bentley’s office announced in May that Butler County had been approved for a bridge replacement project on County Road 53 in the Oakey Streak Community. The county applied for three projects in Phase I.

The projects approved for Phase II will be announced in December.