Two arrested after three-hour manhunt

Published 3:13 pm Monday, April 2, 2012

A manhunt in Georgiana involving the Butler County Sheriff’s Office had Georgiana School on lockdown for part of the afternoon Monday.

A Montgomery man and woman were arrested on Monday after a three-hour manhunt that put Georgiana School on lockdown.

Curtis Robinson, 29, and Leola Felder, 43, were charged with third-degree burglary after attempting to break into a residence and leading officers on a manhunt through Georgiana.

“Around 12 p.m., we received a call that there was a burglary in progress just south of the train tracks on (Hwy.) 31,” Butler County Sheriff Harden said.

Email newsletter signup

Witnesses told Harden that the female subject was sitting in a tan-colored Toyota while the male subject went into the house. The homeowner received a call from a witness asking if there was supposed to be anyone at the home.

“The victim had lived there and went to the house,” Harden said. “The male ran out the back door and hit the woods.”

Felder left in the vehicle and was stopped later by an officer with the Georgiana Police Department. She was arrested about 2 p.m. for her role in the burglary.

The K-9 Unit out of Atmore was notified and a three-hour search took place with the Robinson being arrested about 3:50 p.m.

“We caught him by Welcome Church Road,” Harden said. “He went several miles through the woods and went down the railroad track.”

At this time, Harden said nothing was taken from the house but officers are still scanning the area for missing jewelry.

“They had disconnected TVs and gone through all the jewelry boxes,” Harden said. “We won’t know for sure until they get through the house.”

Butler County Schools Superintendent Darren Douthitt said after learning of the manhunt Georgiana School was placed on lockdown.

“The school was on lockdown as a precaution,” Butler County Schools Superintendent Darren Douthitt said. “We were apprised of a manhunt being conducted in the area, and because of that the school was placed on lockdown.”

Georgiana School Principal Ward Thigpen said that the school was under lockdown for approximately an hour and half.

“We heard from the police department that there was a manhunt going on for someone who was involved in a burglary or robbery and that there was a chance he was in the vicinity of the school, and based on that information we went ahead and put the school under lockdown,” Thigpen said. “We aren’t going to take any chances with something like that. We followed normal operating procedures for a situation like that.”

The lockdown was lifted at approximately 3 p.m., according to Douthitt.

“We received information that there was no longer a threat to the school or anyone in it, and the lockdown was lifted,” Douthitt said.

Patty Vaughan contributed to this report.