GFD rescues woman from house fire

Published 11:07 am Thursday, October 20, 2011

Firefighters with the Greenville Fire Department rescued a woman from a house fire at an Aztec Road residence Wednesday.

According to Greenville Fire Department Chief Mike Phillips, the call came in at approximately 10 a.m. When the firefighters arrived on the scene they found the home’s occupant locked inside with the bedroom window up. Firefighters helped the woman out of the house and she was then transported to L.V. Stabler Memorial Hospital.

“She appeared to be fine,” Phillips said. “It was more for precautionary reasons.”

Email newsletter signup

Phillips said the fire started in the kitchen and spread into the attic.

“It was a pretty good kitchen fire. When we arrived at the scene there was a lot of smoke in the house and the fire was beginning to spread,” Phillips said. “It took a while to get things under control, because (Wednesday) the wind was so strong.”

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen area.

“We were able to get it out pretty quickly given the conditions with the wind,” Phillips said. “There’s a lot of smoke damage, but the house wasn’t lost. She will be able to repair it.”