BOE talks with GHS coaches, AD in executive session

Published 8:28 am Monday, January 17, 2011

There was only one item on the agenda at Thursday night’s special called meeting of the Butler County Board of Education, but it lead to a large turnout and a lengthy executive session.

More than 60 people showed up for the meeting at the Central Office Boardroom, including members of the Greenville High girls’ and boys’ basketball teams, their coaches, parents, family members and BOE employees.

Board members Joe Lisenby, Linda Hamilton, Mickey Jones, Terry Williams and Superintendent Darren Douthitt went into executive session to “discuss the performance of Butler County School System employees,” Douthitt said.

Email newsletter signup

“No action will be taken tonight. However, you are welcome to stay if you wish,” said Douthitt.

Also involved in the executive session were Pete Hamilton, board attorney; Julie Swann, AEA representative; Brad Cook, principal of Greenville High School; Ben Blackmon, athletic director at GHS; Jerome Harris III, GHS basketball coach and Bryant Marlowe, GHS basketball coach.

In December, three Greenville boys’ basketball players were arrested for allegedly stealing pellet guns at an Albertville Kmart. The players were in Albertville playing at the WQSB Holiday Classic Tournament. Carderecko Devontae Maye, 18, of Greenville was identified as one of the suspects. Two juveniles were also arrested.

While Douthitt said he could not comment on any matters discussed during the executive session, he did say in a phone interview on Friday the students involved had been disciplined, but could not go into details.

“In terms of discipline, what I always advise is for it to be swift to be effective when you are dealing with young people,” Douthitt said. ”It pretty much was handled as soon as we heard about the incident. We’ve made sure of everything involved and made sure disciplinary action was taken and it’s time to move on.”

Maye did not play during the Tigers last home game against Wilcox-Central on Friday.

The session lasted nearly two-and-a-half hours, with the majority of those present staying the duration.

Shortly before the board returned to the boardroom, Marlowe stood and addressed those in attendance.

“We thank everybody for coming tonight and showing your support, but we also understand you have jobs and families and things to do. You don’t need to stay here,” Marlowe said.