Scale Back Alabama kicks off Jan. 24
Published 10:10 am Wednesday, January 12, 2011
SPECIAL TO THE ADVOCATE
Beginning January 24, local residents in Butler County are invited to sign up and weigh in for the statewide weight-loss contest Scale Back Alabama.
Now in its fifth year, the 10-week contest is an attempt to encourage Alabamians to lose weight, to exercise and to have fun while doing it. Last year in Butler County 176 residents signed up for the challenge and we want to exceed those numbers this year.
“I am amazed at the success we’ve had each year here in Butler County,” said Steve Harmon, Vice President and General Manager at Pioneer Electric. “The number of participants have gone up and down, but the overall success of folks actually losing their 10 pounds has gone up and we’re very proud to say that Pioneer has been proactive in getting folks to think about their health,” added Harmon.
According to Angela Green, Communications Specialist for Pioneer Electric, the goal is to lose a pound a week during the 10-week period.
“It’s so easy to get involved and it’s free,” explained Green. “All you have to do is get a team of four together and make the commitment to lose those 10 pounds.”
Information on the times and locations for all public weigh-in sites is listed on the Scale Back Alabama Web site, scalebackalabama.com, in addition to a complete list of the competition guidelines. At this time, Pioneer Electric is the only public weigh in site in Butler County.
Here are a few of the participant guidelines below:
– Teams must consist of four (4) members, including the team’s captain.
– Teams must begin and end the contest with the same individuals. If a team member drops for any reason, the team would be disqualified for the final grand prize drawings. However, individuals who lose at least 10 pounds would still be eligible for the drawing for one of 50 achievement prizes.
– Teams must weigh-in at the same facility for beginning and ending weigh-ins.
– If any team member cannot use a standard scale for the weigh-in, please call a weigh-in site in advance to check for special accommodations.
– This program is intended for adults. No one under the age of 18 will be allowed to participate.
– To be eligible for team prizes, each team member must lose at least 10 pounds during the 10-week contest, as recorded by a coordinator at a Scale Back Alabama weigh-in site.
– Winning teams will be determined by a random drawing from all eligible teams.
– The first team drawn will win $1,000 per team member, or a total of $4,000 for the entire team.
– The second team drawn will win $500 per team member, or a total of $2,000 for the entire team.
– The third team drawn will be rewarded $250 per team member, or a total of $1,000 for the entire team
Weigh ins start Monday, January 24-28 at Pioneer Electric beginning at 7:15 a.m-3:30 p.m.
If you need special accommodations or an alternate weigh in time, please contact Patti Presley in advance at 334-382-4954.