Georgiana man killed in grill explosion

Published 2:15 pm Monday, December 14, 2009

A Georgiana man died on Saturday after he and his brother tried to light a barbecue grill using a deadly combination of diesel fuel and gasoline, according to Georgiana police chief James Blackmon.

At approximately 7:46 p.m. Friday, Blackmon said two patrol cars, the Georgiana fire department and emergency medical personnel responded to a call at 1263 Mobile Highway where “multiple burn victims” were reported.

“All indications, from talking to several eyewitnesses who were sitting on their porch, is that the victims were trying to light a barbecue grill and there was an explosion,” said Blackmon. “We initially thought the victims tried to use diesel fuel, but we now believe there was some gas mixed in with it.”

Email newsletter signup

David Hooks died from burns suffered during the explosion, said Blackmon. Hooks’ brother, Joseph Bennu, and Hooks’ father, Michael, were injured in the fire, said Blackmon.

“The father was sitting inside in the trailer, heard the explosion, and came out to help the others and was burned while trying to do so,” said Blackmon.

Hooks Sr. and the brother were transported to Mobile for treatment, said Blackmon.

Blackmon said the state fire marshal’s office is investigating the incident.

An account has been established to benefit the Hooks’ family at BankTrust locations in Georgiana and Greenville, a family member told The Advocate on Tuesday.