Surveys now due Dec. 17
Thursday, Dec. 17 is the deadline to return the “Your Opinion Matters” surveys to the Butler County Commission. All households in Butler County should have received the one-page form by now, which was mailed out prior to the Thanksgiving holiday. If for some reason you did not receive a form, you may contact the county commission at 334-382-3612, or email: email@example.com.
Printed on the forms are four issues that commissioners say need to be addressed including:
– Repairing, resurfacings and improving existing paved rural roadways.
– Renovating and remodeling the Butler County Annex to create needed additional office space for use by the circuit clerk, district attorney, or other governmental entity.
– Increasing funds available for the county’s volunteer fire departments in Butler County.
– Increasing funds to the county sheriff’s office to hire additional deputies for 24-hour patrol.
Additionally, there is space available for you to write-in any other project, issue, or concern you feel the commission needs to look into.
First, we should all applaud the commission for taking the initiative to find out what’s on the minds of its citizens related to the future of Butler County. Communication between elected officials – no matter how big or small – and its constituency is essential in ensuring that the principles of a free and open government are followed.
Second, we encourage ALL residents of Butler County to participate in this survey. Oftentimes, we like to sit back and criticize our government for apparently following their own set of rules without any input whatsoever from us. It is easier to remain apathetic rather than becoming an active participant in the month-to-month business our local government. These issues listed by the commission involve YOU, the taxpayers of Butler County, and should these projects move into the planning stages, they will involve YOUR tax money. You have a voice and you should let it be heard. As much as possible.
The survey forms should be mailed to 202 Patsaligia St., Greenville, AL, 36037, or may be hand delivered to the same address.
* Changed Monday, Dec. 7, to reflect the commission’s extended deadline.