Pine Flat honored at 150th celebration
Published 5:54 pm Tuesday, October 28, 2008
On October 5, Pine Flat Methodist Church and Pine Flat Cemetery Association held their annual Homecoming and Memorial Day as they celebrated the church’s 150th anniversary.
Rev. William T. Earnest, the guest speaker, presented a certificate commemorating the church’s 150 years of continuous celebration of the descendants and friends of this distinguished church to trustees Mrs. Harry Davidson Poole, Harry Davidson Poole Jr. and McDuffie Stallworth.
Myralyn Trawick Bailey presented the memorial program to recognize those who had passed on since the last meeting.
Email newsletter signup
Special music was provided by vocalists Mrs. Ann Renfroe and Mrs. Earnie Lewis, accompanied by Mrs. Charles Terry. Channing and Hannah Glenn also performed a duet.
In memory of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Chester Stringfellow, Charles C. Stringfellow presented beautiful hand fans for the special services, featuring a photograph of the church, cemetery and guest house.
On the back of the fans, information on the history of the church, its trustees and a welcome to all those connected to the historic Pine Flat Methodist Church and Cemetery was printed, including the following:
“The Pine Flat Methodist Church was built in the spring of 1858. Constructed entirely of heart pine taken from the surrounding woods, the church originally had a slave gallery (entered by stairs from the porch), which was removed when the building was repaired in 1870.
The pews, pulpit and communion rail were also constructed of heart pine. Early ministries and laymen of the Methodist Circuit attended including Martha Barge Reynolds, Mary A. Greene and John W. Purifoy, to mention a few.
The first minister to serve Pine Flat was Theosphilus Moody in 1858.
The Bible was presented by Martha Barge Reynolds, The Communion Service ws given by the Metcalf Family.
The candelabrums were given by the Hill family and the organ, by the Forest Home Methodist church. The cemetery at Pine Flat has always served as a community cemetery open to all residents of the community.
The Pine Flat Church was incorporated into the Pine Flat Cemetery in 1979.”
Everyone was encouraged to take home a fan as a special memento of the occasion.
The fans will be used next year both inside and out.
Dinner was served on the grounds as in the old days as those attending enjoyed a wonderful fellowship together.