Advocate wins statewide awards
Published 1:23 pm Thursday, May 16, 2013
The Greenville Advocate won six statewide awards in the Alabama Press Association’s Better Newspaper Contest.
The Alabama Press Association announced this week the winners in 22 of the contest’s 37 categories. Winners in the other 15 categories, including General Excellence and Web Excellence, will be announced at the 2013 APA Summer Convention on June 22 in Destin.
The Greenville Advocate has already picked up three first-place awards and three third-place awards. The Advocate’s three first-place awards tied for the most by any of the newspapers in its division.
First-place awards included:
- Best Human Interest Column for “Kimbro turns adversity into triumph” by Andy Brown
- Best Photo Essay for “Cirque 2012” by Andy Brown
- Best Headline for “Holy infestation, Batman” by Andy Brown
Third-place awards included:
- Best Humorous Column for “Tooth is gone, nightmares remain” by Andy Brown
- Best Use of Graphics or Illustrations for “Holy infestation, Batman” by Andy Brown
- Best Niche Publication for “Camellia Magazine Fall 2012” by staff
Seventy newspapers submitted 2,668 entries in this year’s contest. The entries were judged by members of the Kentucky Press Association.