HHS Flying Squadron buzzes Bobcats

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, September 14, 2004

After starting the football season with two straight losses on the road, the friendly confines of Clay-Jordan Stadium proved to be the tonic Coach Bob Farrior and his young Flying Squadron needed as they slid past Beulah 28-27 last Friday night to claim their first win of the season.

The Squadron (1-1, 1-0) previously suffered a 46-41 preseason loss in Elba and a 42-7 loss to Charles Henderson in the season opener.

The Bobcats got on the scoreboard early in the first quarter as wing back D.J. Robinson galloped 33 yards to put the visitors up 6-0.

Email newsletter signup

The turnover bug struck the Bobcats on their second possession of the night when quarterback Patrick Shivers fumbled the ball. Squadron linebacker Kiko Gipson recovered the miscue at the 'Cats' 33-yard-line.

Highland Home got its first lead of the night and of the football season when freshman quarterback Deymond Sankey hit junior wide out Derrick DuLaney on a 31-yard pass up the middle.

Keith Dawkins' extra point put the Squadron on top 7-6.

After the Flyboys' defense forced the Bobcats to turn the ball over on downs at the Highland Home 35-yard-line, they marched 38 yards to the Bobcats' 27-yard-line where they faced fourth and long. The Squadrons' coaching staff used some trickery to tally their second score of the night

Field goal kicker Keith Dawkins lined up for an apparent field goal, but Sankey, who was holding for Dawkins, took the snap and connected with senior receiver Tony Merriweather on a perfect 28-yard scoring strike.

Once again Dawkins' kick was true giving Highland Home a 14-6 lead with 11:08 to go until the half.

Just before halftime, the Bobcats answered back when quarterback Heath Smith hit split end Brice Greer on a 12-yard touchdown pass. The touchdown capped off a nine play, 75- yard drive.

A successful two-point conversion play tied the game, 14-14.

The Bobcats blocked a Squadron punt at the 17-yard-line on the ensuing drive following a big three-and-out by their defense. Robinson scored his second touchdown of the game a few plays later from four yards out.

Jamie Eidson's PAT split the uprights giving the Bobcats a 21-7 lead heading into the locker room at halftime.

Beulah wasted little time to score in the second half. Following a big return on the opening half kickoff, backup fullback Carlos Robinson raced 42 yards for another score. The PAT kick sailed wide right, but the Bobcats were on top 27-14.

The big blue's defensive unit shut down Beulah's offense the remainder of the game.

The Flyboys closed in on the Bobcats' lead when Sankey hooked up with Merriweather once again. Dawkins' kick was good cutting the visitors' lead to 27-21.

As the fourth quarter clock ticked down, Sankey scored on a one-yard quarterback sneak up the middle. Dawkins nailed the PAT kick to give the home team a 28-27 lead.

The win was Farrior's first as head coach since 1989.

The Squadron will continue region play next week as they travel to Luverne to take on long-time rival the Luverne Tigers. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.